Content provided by the Health & Wellness Team at GBS Benefits
When meeting with your doctor, it can be helpful to identify questions you have prior to the visit. If you don’t ask questions, your doctor may assume you already know the answer or don’t need more information. Asking questions helps your doctor know what concerns you have so your time together will be well spent. Here are some suggestions you can use to build your own list.
Ask yourself these questions before an appointment with your primary care provider:
- What concerns do I have about my mental and physical health?
- Have I noticed any concerning symptoms or problems regarding my health?
- What am I hoping to gain from this appointment?
- What questions do I have for my provider on current conditions and medications?
- What medications am I currently taking? Do I have an updated list of current medications?
Questions to ask your primary care provider during your appointment:
- What wellness tests should I have?
- Can you explain these test results?
- I’m concerned about ____. What precautions should I take? How worried should I be?
- How does my family history affect my health?
- What may have caused this condition? Will it be permanent?
- How is this condition treated or managed? What will be the long-term effects on my life?
- How can I learn more about my condition?
- Are my prescriptions still relevant?
Questions to ask your primary care provider about screenings:
- Do I need this test?
- What is the test for?
- How is the test done?
- What are the benefits and risks of having the test?
- What do I need to do to prepare for the test?
- Do I need a referral?
- Do I need to make an appointment?
Questions to ask your primary care provider about prescriptions:
- What is the name of the medication?
- Why am I being prescribed this drug?
- What is the purpose of this drug?
- How should I take this drug?
- How long do I need to take this medication?
- What are the common side effects?
- Do you carry samples of this drug to get me started?
Questions to ask your behavioral health provider:
- What kind of treatments or modalities do you use?
- How will you determine what help I need?
- I’m experiencing ______; can you help me work through this?
- Sometimes I feel _______; what suggestions do you have?