With increasing health care costs and major changes to the health care system, many employers are implementing wellness programs and health incentives for their employees. With a little creativity and participation from your workforce, you can create a wellness program that meets the needs of your employees and helps them maintain a healthy lifestyle.
Here are a few ideas to help you start or improve your own company wellness program:
Wellness Program Ideas & Initiatives:
- Sponsor fitness and weight loss competitions.
- Sponsor a walking program.
- Sponsor company sports events, such as softball tournaments or 5K races.
- Substitute snacks around the office with fresh fruits and vegetables.
Incentives for Participation in Wellness Programs:
- Provide a monthly cash incentive for meeting fitness goals.
- Offer discounted health club memberships.
- Give gift cards for health-related products and services.
Sign up for the email updates from our health care reform website, and we’ll help you stay informed. Some of the resources on the website include:
- Major health care reform provisions
- Links to laws and regulations
- Frequently asked questions on health care reform.
To sign up for email updates, go to HealthReformUpdates.com and click the link “Sign up for Email Notification.”
Take Control of Rising Health Care Costs
Wellness programs are a proactive approach to reducing health risks among your employees, ultimately reducing health care costs. An investment in a wellness program is an investment in your greatest asset – your employees.
Wellness programs offer attractive benefits to employees, but they also add value to the employer as well. Some of the reasons employees are motivated to participate in wellness programs include:
- Desire to achieve better overall health.
- Reduce personal health care costs.
- Increase longevity of life.
The benefits an employer can expect to see while maintaining a wellness program for employees include:
- Improved energy and productivity among employees.
- Employees will be motivated to work harder and perform better.
- Decrease in absenteeism due to illness.
- Improved employee moral.
- Decrease in health care costs as employees reduce unhealthy behaviors and maintain a healthy lifestyle.
- Gain control of illnesses, conditions, and unhealthy behaviors before they become more serious.
- Recruit and retain top talent – wellness programs can help employees feel more appreciated and also increase loyalty to the company.
“Employers who invest in their workers’ wellness will see returns beyond a physically healthier employee. By offering workers the means and educational tools to take control of their wellness, you promote a healthier, more productive work environment.” – Amy Friedrich, VP pf Specialty Benefits for The Principal.*
“With health care costs on the rise and increasing public awareness of illnesses like diabetes and heart disease, Americans are ready to take action. Workplace wellness gives employees a convenient, simple way to get started.” – Lee Dukes, President of Principal Wellness Company.*
* “American Workers Say Wellness Works to Improve Health, Save Costs.” Business Wire. February 16, 2011.
Our agency provides employee benefits, personal, commercial, and life insurance products and services.