“Veterans Day has a special place in the lives not only of our Veterans, but for all citizens as we pay tribute to the service of those past and present who have contributed so much to our nation’s history.” David Shulkin, VA Secretary
On November 1, 2017, President Trump proclaimed November 2017 as National Veterans and Military Families Month. There are a variety of local and national events occurring in honor of Veterans Day and Veterans and Military Families Month.
Here are a few ways you can acknowledge and honor the service, sacrifices, and contributions of veterans and military families.
- Learn more about the history of Veterans Day at https://www.va.gov/opa/vetsday/vetdayhistory.asp.
- Find opportunities to volunteer and serve veterans at https://www.nationalservice.gov/serve/search.
- Participate in the Veterans History Project by interviewing a veteran and sharing their story. http://www.loc.gov/vets/
- Volunteer at a VA facility or hospital. https://www.volunteer.va.gov/
- Help a veteran apply for an Honor Flight. https://www.honorflight.org/
Click here to view the calendar of national events for Veterans and Military Families Month.