Implementing a return-to-work program for your company will result in benefits to both your company and your employees. The following is a brief outline of some of the benefits of an effectively implemented return-to-work program:
Benefits for Employers
- Minimizes accident costs thus keeping workers compensation costs as low as possible.
- Reduces employee turnover and costs for hiring and training new employees.
- Reduces the number of lost work days and increases overall productivity.
- Reduces legal disputes.
- Improves employee morale.
- Promotes a positive company image.
Benefits for Employees
- Less time away from work makes it easier to return to work.
- Recovery of injured employees is expedited when they can focus on being productive rather than focus on their injury.
- Helps employee maintain income and financial stability.
- Employees are able to resume their normal activities sooner and maintain their job skills.
- Employees are able to learn new transferable skills.
- Helps employees maintain a positive sense of self worth and improves morale.
Expedite the Recovery Process for Injured Employees
Research shows that the longer employees are away from work after being injured, the less likely they are to return to the job they had before the injury. In fact, 50 percent of injured employees who stay off the job for more than six months never return to their prior employment*. By establishing a return to work program you can have a significant impact on your employees returning to work within a reasonable amount of time.
*As reported by the State Compensation Insurance Funds of both California and Utah.